Last week I wrote an blog on a shawl I was making for my mother in law, from a beautiful mohair-silk yarn.
Tomorrow we are leaving for a long weekend to UK to visit her, and I was working hard to finish it before we leave, so I could give it to her. This is how the shawl looked before last weekend:
I was not very happy with the shape. It is suppose to be more of a wrap than a scarf, but it felt very tight around the shoulders. I was trying to find a way to adjust it, but the problem with this yarn is, that it’s very difficult to take the work apart if you make a mistake. I got very, very frustrated with working on it and under normal circumstances, I would just toss it into a drawer and never touch it again. But I really wanted to finish it for my mother in law, so I kept crocheting…
And after a few days of hard work, here is the the “progress”:
Yes, that’s right! I took it all apart. I took me 2 and half day to do so (well Im not quite done, but am very close now)….. With every row I crocheted I felt less and less happy about the result, so I finally gave up and decided to start over again. I almost cried the first couple of rows i was ripping it apart, but now, that I’m almost done, I know it was a right decision…..
It is very clear that I won’t make the deadline, but with the summer coming, she won’t really need it and I have some time to work on it. I just hope my 2nd attempt to make a shawl I like will be more of a success….