So Im very proud to say, that this was one of the most productive weekends I had in a long time. As I wrote in my previous post, I started on Thursday experimenting with dyeing some wool.
On thursday I did first 3 colours and on Saturday I added 1 more colour to my collection. I went for purple. I don’t know what I did wrong and I don’t think i did anything different to the other times, but the batch still came out dyed very unevenly. Next time i have to make sure to fluff out the wool more before putting it in the pot, but since it was already wet I did’t want it to felt. Also the purple colour seems to be breaking and soaking in differently than other colours I tried so far. Well in the end, the idea is to blend all the colours together, so having an uneven result isn’t a big problem….
I also had some already carded wool, that i rolled up into so called rolags. On Friday I decided to try dye them in oven this time with several different colours for nice variegated effect. So I rolled up my rolags into small ball balls and got started. I prepared 2 colours: red and blue and tried to apply the colours on different sections on the wool. I hoped they will stay separated on some parts and blend on others and that will create a third colour…I covered it tightly and put in oven for an hour on 120celsius. Well im not going to go into details, but it was a failure and it wasn’t at all what i expected….
So next morning i decided to re- dye it all on stove top. This time I chose purple for the base colour and added blue into the middle of each rolag. It wasn’t exactly what I had in mind when i started this experiment, but I have to say, im happy with the final result.
And now “all” that’s left to do, is to learn how to spin wool and I can start making my own yarn. But that is a topic for another post (hopefully before the end of 2017)….